Saturday, October 6, 2012

Platja d'en Bossa

One preparation task which I never completed was booking a rental car for Eivissa. I got expensive quotes like 60€ per day or was warned on forums of rentals that required prepaying for a full tank. (Eivissa is small and you'd never be able to use it all.) I considered a moped but was worried about heavier traffic and steeper hills than Formentera. I was going to decide whether to rent for 2 days but instead I procrastinated to thinking about renting for 1 day tomorrow.


On the way to the bus stand I came across Mercat Nou, the town market. It's a pretty standard Spanish produce market but I enjoy looking at what people buy and eat.


I succumbed to the pastel del dia (pastry of the day) offer of this stall. It was a pastry with vanilla filling, chocolate paste, and a sprinkling of crushed nuts. When I finally ate it at the beach it was alright but too sweet for my taste. Some fruit, i.e. a danish, would have been nice, but what can you expect for 1€.


Platja d'en Bossa is the closest major beach to Eivissa town. The airport is not far away so you can even see planes overhead coming in to land. I stayed on the bus till the end of the line which was also the southern end of the long beach then started walking north. You can rent recliners or sun beds like these. Taking in the sun is not an activity I desire; It puzzles me why paleskins are attracted to it. I prefer cool breezy days.


Attire on both locals and visitors ends to be casual due to the warm weather, even this late in the year. Shorts are acceptable and the women even manage to look txic, sorry I mean chic, in casual wear. (Txic is the name of a real fashion shop in town.)

I saw a poster for a 3 hour boat cruise taking in Es Vedra. It can be viewed from Cala d'Hort, not served by buses, thus the reason for wanting my own transport. But only on Thursdays and Fridays. If I had known, but the sea was choppy yesterday. Then again it might have been a larger and more stable boat. Anyway too late now.


There is one beach closer to Eivissa town called Sa Figueretas, but it's a pebbly beach rather than sandy. There was also a lot of dried seaweed on the beach.

A billboard outside a rental agency quoted 60€ for a car and 25-30€ for a motorbike. So I think no rental tomorrow.

It was walking distance from town so after leaving the beach, I found myself on Avda. Espanya, one of the main streets. About 20 minutes later I was back at the hotel.


In the evening I decided I would go to Eulària for dinner or I would go stir crazy. It is only 2€ each way anyway, and a 20 minute ride. This turned out to be a brilliant move. Eulària is a more mellow place than Eivissa town. I strolled on the promenade for a while, enjoying the cool air.


The jetty where I had arrived the day before.


A few streets back from the water is Calle San Vincent which is lined with restaurants. After walking back and forth a couple of times, checking the menus, I picked a traditional restaurant. I had Waldorf salad, followed by gallo (translated on the menu as St. Peter's fish, but possibly Megrim) baked with tomato and potato slices, finishing with a banana split. The dry house white from Catalunya was outstanding. It wasn't available in less than ½ bottle (375ml) so I was a bit tipsy by the end of the evening. I was glad I was taking the bus. I'd never be able to do this in a rented car.  It was a splendid splurge.

Eulària's bus station advertised itself as the new location of the town market, but from the incomplete state of the station it looked like another case of oversupply of infrastructure.

No comments:

Post a Comment